The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reported that a London-based landlord, Duran Akbulut, had been given an eight week suspended sentence for gas safety failings.

At a hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, they were told how Mr Akbulut had failed to have a gas boiler checked for safety by a suitably qualified engineer and more importantly to obtain the necessary safety certificate from the Gas Safe Register.

Dangers arose after a new tenant discovered leaks and then raised concerns about a carbon monoxide leak. The tenant then made a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The Landlord pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given an eight week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, was ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and contribute £300 in costs to HSE.

This is not the first time that there had been prosecutions of this type. With more properties being let out it is vital that the necessary safety checks are carried before prospective tenants move into their new home.

Carbon Monoxide is a deadly substance and if not checked can cause death. There have been all too many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Melanie Neale a Personal Injury specialist at Hammersmith law firm Hubbard Pegman and Whitney (HPW) has had experience in dealing with cases involving Carbon Monoxide poisoning and the devastating effects that it can cause to her clients. Melanie says ‘that this is another important decision and that it shows that the HSE are alert to these types of problems’.


    Close

    Get in touch

    Discuss your situation with an experienced Solicitor by filling out the form below or by ringing us on 0208 735 9770.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.