If HM Prison Service has failed in its duty to protect you while at work and you have suffered an injury as a result, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

Although the number of prison officers’ is decreasing, injuries sustained by prison officers still remain high.

Prison officers’ work by their very nature is a demanding and at times fraught with danger in an environment to protect the safety of inmates and fellow officers. Unfortunately, incidents do occur which can lead to accidents, despite prison operational processes being in place to minimise the risk of injury.

HPW solicitors are placed to assist prison officers’ who have been injured at work, having successfully represented prison officers’ compensation claims.

It is critical to consult us as soon as possible to see if a claim arises.

What examples are their of Prison Officers claims

At Hubbard Pegman & Whitney we have experience in handling a number of different types of work related injury claims for prison officers, for example:

  • Assaults which are directly caused by inmates
  • Slips and trips within the workplace.
  • Back injuries, including spinal injuries
  • Head injuries
  • Orthopaedic injuries, including knee, shoulder, foot, ankle, hand and other ligaments, joint or bone injuries such as fractures, tears and sprains
  • Facial injury which can be caused by direct assaults
  • Psychological injuries sustained having witnessed or been party to distressing events on duty such as death in custody.

What will any compensation cover?

  • Pain and suffering caused by your injuries and help to support you while you are recovering.
  • Cost of unexpected medical bills, rehab and care from family and friends
  • Time taken off work due to injury
  • Your past losses and future losses will be considered i.e.
  • Loss of Pension
  • Loss of overtimes
  • Loss of benefits
  • Future loss of earnings

What to do having been injured as a prison officer?

If you have been involved in an accident during your employment in a prison, there are a number of steps which you can take after the accident.

  • You should report the accident to your manager or a supervisor as soon as possible, providing all the details of the accident. You should ensure that the details are recorded in an accident book, make sure all the details are correct, and request a copy of the accident report, if possible.
  • Record the names and contact details of anyone who was in the area and may have witnessed the accident.
  • Seek medical attention for your injuries at hospital or with your G.P. as soon as possible.
  • Keep receipts for any expenses incurred as a direct result of the accident.
  • Make sure that the proper internal procedures are followed.

Click Here to read more on injuries sustained as a prison officer and what to do

How Hubbard Pegman & Whitney solicitors can help me?

The lawyers at Hubbard Pegman & Whitney LLP provide a reliable service which you can trust, backed by many years of combined legal experience. We are sensitive to the unique issues affecting each of our clients, and we provide a personalised service to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients.

At Hubbard Pegman Whitney we understand what is at stake, and we work tirelessly to recover medical costs, legal costs, lost wages and long-term care costs. We insist on maximum compensation for treatment and vocational rehabilitation to get our clients back to work as soon as possible.

If you would like to speak to Melanie Neale who is the head of our personal injury department then please call her on 0208 735 9774 or email mn@hpwsolicitors.co.uk



    Get in touch

    Discuss your situation with an experienced Solicitor by filling out the form below or by ringing us on 0208 735 9770.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.